|Alternative last name spellings:|
|Alternative first name spellings: Abu Bakr bin Yahya.|
|Description: Abu Bakr bin Yahya al-Suli was an erudite, poet and writer. He was a legendary shatranj player (an ancestor of chess), court champion of al-Muktafi and Baghdad. Today he is still considered one of the best Arab players of all time. His book, Kitab Ash-Shatranj, was the first scientific book on chess strategy. It contained information about chess openings, standard problems in the middle game and finals. Many later European writers based their works on Al-Suli. He also wrote several historical books.
|Sex: Male||Occupation: Poet, Writer, Shatranj player.|
|Place of Birth / Death: Gorgan, Golestan Province, Iran / Basra, Shatt al-Arab, Iran.||Country Tags: Iran.|
|Centuries: IX-X.||Title: –|
|World Champion: –||School: –|
|Styles: –||Chess Olympiads: –|
|Fictional stories (MC Universe):|
|Music Composers vs. Chess Players:|
- As-Suli in Geni: https://www.geni.com/people/Al-Suli/6000000043237557668 – [01/04/2018].
- As-Suli in revolvy: https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Abu%20Bakr%20bin%20Yahya%20al-Suli – [01/04/2018].
- Wikipedia the free encyclopedia: As-Suli: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Bakr_bin_Yahya_al-Suli – [01/04/2018].
- Averbakh, Yuri. (2012). A history of chess. From Chaturanga to the present day. Milford, USA: Russel enterprises Inc.
- Eales, Richard. (2002). Chess: The history of a game. Glasgow, Scotland: Hardinge Simpole Publishing.
- Elo, Arpad E. (2008). The rating of chess players, Past and Present. New York: Ishi Press.
- Hooper, David. Whyld, Kenneth. (1992). The Oxford companion to chess. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Leder, S. (2008). al-Suli, Abu Bakr Muhammad. Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition. Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel and W.P. Heinrichs. Brill.
- Murray, H. J. R. (1913). A history of chess. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Osaulai, Muohammad Ibn Yaohyaa (2015). The Life and Times of Abu Tammam. Library of Arabic Literature.