Ngata, Apirana (1874-1950)
|Alternative last name spellings: –|
|Alternative first name spellings: Āpirana Ngata|
|Description: Apirana Ngata was a politician and musician from New Zealand. Apirana invented the “action song” (waiata-a-ringa) a dance with Maori music and series of stylized body movements synchronized with the song to revive Maori music and culture. He also developed the poi haka (“war dance”), as an anthem or ancient song. In addition, he wrote songs for other artists and Maori music groups, and he supported the national musical culture by spreading the culture and supporting artists. In the political sphere, he worked in the Maori Parliament and is known for his work in promoting and protecting the Maori culture and language.|
|Sex: Male||Occupation: Composer, songwriter and politician.|
|Place of Birth / Death: Te Araroa, Gisborne, New Zealand. / Waiomatatini, New Zealand.||Country Tags: New Zealand|
|Periods: 19th Century, 20th Century||Genres: Folk, instrumental music, vocal music, dance music, world music.|
|Styles: Ethnic, maori music, Folk, Traditional music.||Master: –|
|Instruments: –||Relatives: –|
|Fictional stories (MC Universe):|
|Music Composers vs. Chess Players:|
- Apirana Ngata in All Music: https://www.allmusic.com/artist/sir-apirana-ngata-mn0002491429/compositions – [03/09/2019].
- Apirana Ngata in Arts OnLine: http://artsonline.tki.org.nz/Teaching-and-Learning/Secondary-teaching-resources/Dance/Units-and-sequences/Dancing-Towards-Respect/Part%20Two:%20Respect%20for%20Others/Sir-Apirana-Ngata-and-Waiata-a-ringa-a-very-brief-history – [03/09/2019].
- Apirana Ngata in Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/es/artist/4880983-Apirana-Ngata – [03/09/2019].
- Apirana Ngata in Encyclopaedia Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Apirana-Turupa-Ngata – [03/09/2019].
- Apirana Ngata in Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0JF6gNPjeUAhYz3fBqcmQV – [03/09/2019].
- Apirana Ngata in Te Ara: https://teara.govt.nz/en/kapa-haka-maori-performing-arts/page-3 – [03/09/2019].
- Wikipedia.org: Apirana Ngata: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80pirana_Ngata – [03/09/2019].
- Beltrando-Patier, Marie-Claire y otros (1996). Historia de la música. Espasa Calpe
- Bohlman, Philip V (2002). World Music. OUP Oxford
- Guilbault, Jocelyne (1999). Saint Lucia. Garland Encyclopedia of World Music. Routledge
- Hare McLintock, Alexander (1966). An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand. R.E. Owen, Government Printer.
- Onnen, Frank. (1967). Enciclopedia de la música. Madrid: Afrodisio Aguado
- Rodman, Sarah (2007). A true cultural ambassador. The Boston Globe.
- Shepherd, J., ed. (2003). Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World. New York: Continuum.