Steinitz, Wilhelm (1836-1900)
|Alternative last name spellings: –|
|Alternative first name spellings: William.|
|Description: Wilhelm Steinitz was an Austrian and later American chess player, where he developed a large part of his career. He was the first World Chess Champion, and a highly influential writer and chess theorist, since he discovered many of the strategic principles on which the positional play style is based.|
|Sex: Male.||Occupation: Chess player.|
|Place of Birth / Death: Prague, Kingdom of Bohemia / New York City, New York, United States.||Country Tags: Austria. Czech Republic. United States.|
|World Champion: 1886–1894.||School: –|
|Styles: Positional.||Chess Olympiads: –|
|Fictional stories (MC Universe):|
|Music Composers vs. Chess Players:|
- Ajedrez de Ataque: Wilhelm Steinitz, el Morphy austriaco: http://www.ajedrezdeataque.com/04%20Articulos/03%20Steinitz/Steinitz.htm – [09/03/2018].
- Chesscorner: Wilhelm Steinitz Biography: http://www.chesscorner.com/worldchamps/steinitz/steinitz.htm – [09/03/2018].
- Webarchive.com: Wilhelm Steinitz‘s biography: https://web.archive.org/web/20060527101733/http://www.souvenirworldja.com/chessworld/playbetter/Technical_Articles/worldchamps/steinitz/william_steinitz_1836.htm – [09/03/2018].
- Wikipedia the free encyclopedia: Wilhelm Steinitz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Steinitz – [09/03/2018].
- Wilhelm Steinitz chess games at 365Chess.com: https://www.365chess.com/players/William_Steinitz – [09/03/2018].
- Wilhelm Steinitz on Chess24: https://chess24.com/en/read/players/wilhelm-steinitz – [09/03/2018].
- Wilhelm Steinitz player profile and games at Chessgames.com: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=10421 – [09/03/2018].
- Averbakh, Yuri. (2012). A history of chess. From Chaturanga to the present day. Milford, USA: Russel enterprises Inc.
- Eales, Richard. (2002). Chess: The history of a game. Glasgow, Scotland: Hardinge Simpole Publishing.
- Elo, Arpad E. (2008). The rating of chess players, Past and Present. New York: Ishi Press.
- Golombek, H. (1954). “The Great Masters: Steinitz”. The Game of Chess. Penguin Books.
- Hooper, David. Whyld, Kenneth. (1992). The Oxford companion to chess. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Murray, H. J. R. (1913). A history of chess. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Steinitz, Wilhelm (2010). Kurt Landsberger, ed. The Steinitz Papers: Letters and Documents of the First World Chess Champion. West Jefferson (Carolina del Norte): McFarland & Co Inc Pub.