Lewis, William (1787–1870)
|Alternative last name spellings:|
|Alternative first name spellings:|
|Description: Williams Lewis was a profesional chess player, considered the first to be described as a Grandmaster. He’s known by Lewis Countergambit; the bishop’s opening. Around 1819 Lewis was the hidden player inside the automaton “The Turk“, created by Von Kempelen.|
|Sex: Male.||Occupation: Chess player. Writer.|
|Place of Birth / Death: Birmingham, United Kindgdom / London, United Kingdom.||Country Tags: United Kingdom|
|Centuries: XVIII-XIX||Title: Considerer the first Grandmaster|
|World Champion: –||School: John Cochrane|
|Style: –||Chess Olympiads: –|
|Fictional stories (MC Universe):|
|Music Composers vs. Chess Players:|
- Williams Lewis at chess-db: https://chess-db.com/public/pinfo.jsp?id=8000000047 – [25/03/2019].
- Williams Lewis at chess.com: https://www.chess.com/blog/batgirl/william-lewis – [25/03/2019].
- Williams Lewis chess games at 365chess.com: https://www.365chess.com/players/William_Lewis – [25/03/2019].
- Williams Lewis chess profile and games at Chessgames.com: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=93005 – [25/03/2019].
- Wikipedia.org: Williams Lewis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lewis_(chess_player) – [25/03/2019].
- Wikivisually.com: William Lewis: https://wikivisually.com/wiki/William_Lewis_(chess_player) – [25/03/2019].
- Averbakh, Yuri. (2012). A history of chess. From Chaturanga to the present day. Milford, USA: Russel enterprises Inc.
- Eales, Richard. (2002). Chess: The history of a game. Glasgow, Scotland: Hardinge Simpole Publishing.
- Elo, Arpad E. (2008). The rating of chess players, Past and Present. New York: Ishi Press.
- Hooper, David. Whyld, Kenneth. (1992). The Oxford companion to chess. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lewis, William (1844). A Treatise on the Game of Chess. A.H. Baily and Co. Cornhill.
- Murray, H. J. R. (1913). A history of chess. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Winter, Edward G., ed. (1981). World chess champions. Pergamon.